Des 9, 2023
Don’t do dairy? You’ll love this easy vegan ricotta cheese. Just like regular ricotta, it’s rich and creamy. Perfect for lasagna, stuffed shells, and more!
Good vegan ricotta is the secret to a great vegan lasagna or stuffed shells. It should be rich, thick, and creamy—so delicious that you don’t miss the cheese. I’ve tried making it all sorts of ways over the years—with nuts like cashews and almonds…even sunflower seeds! But this tofu ricotta cheese is hands down my favorite.
This vegan ricotta cheese is easy to make in the food processor. The recipe calls for less than 10 ingredients and whizzes up in minutes! It has a savory, cheesy flavor and perfect creamy texture. Add it to your next plant-based pasta or homemade pizza. I think you’re going to love it!
How to Make Vegan Ricotta Cheese
This vegan ricotta recipe is easy to make! It starts with 9 simple ingredients:
- Extra-firm tofu – No need to press the tofu to make this recipe! The water inside it helps it blend into a creamy puree.
- Fresh lemon juice and zest – They add bright, tangy flavor.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- Nutritional yeast – You’ll find this plant-based ingredient in savory dishes like my vegan mac and cheese and vegan Alfredo sauce. It’s a great way to add cheesy flavor to vegan recipes, no dairy required!
- Garlic – For savory bite.
- Dried oregano and red pepper flakes – For Italian flare.
- And salt – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Got your ingredients? This recipe comes together in one easy step:
Place everything in a food processor, and pulse until smooth.
Yep, it’s that simple!
Can I use a blender?
I recommend using a food processor for this vegan cheese recipe. Pureeing it in a blender will require more liquid, resulting in a runnier, less creamy, texture.
How to Use Vegan Ricotta
There are so many ways to use this homemade vegan ricotta! Substitute it for regular ricotta in any savory recipe, such as my stuffed shells or baked ziti, or try one of these tasty serving suggestions:
- Make a vegan lasagna. Layer this vegan ricotta into my go-to veggie lasagna. Skip the cheese on top. Cover and bake the lasagna until heated through.
- Dot it on a pizza. Make this Margherita pizza without the cheese. When it comes out of the oven, dollop it with vegan ricotta and scatter it with fresh basil leaves.
- Upgrade vegan meatballs. Serve them over pasta with marinara sauce and a scoop of vegan ricotta.
- Spread it on a sandwich. Make an epic plant-based sandwich with grilled zucchini, grilled eggplant, roasted red peppers, basil pesto, and a slather of vegan ricotta.
- Serve it as a dip. Garnish it with lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley. Scoop it up with crackers or crostini for a delicious dairy-free appetizer!
How do you like to use vegan ricotta cheese? Let me know in the comments!
If you don’t use all the ricotta in one go, that’s ok! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Vegan Basics
If you love this recipe, try one of these vegan basics next:
Looking for more plant-based cooking inspiration? Check out these 85 Best Vegan Recipes!
Vegan Ricotta Cheese
Prevent your screen from going dark