Jan 21, 2024
This air fryer vegetables recipe is a quick and easy way to cook veggies. Crisp, browned, and well seasoned, they’re a delicious, healthy side dish!
This air fryer vegetables recipe shows off everything I love about air frying.
First, it’s quick and easy. These air fryer veggies cook in half the time it takes to make roasted vegetables in the oven!
Second, it’s delicious. The air fryer vegetables are perfectly tender, with crisp, caramelized edges. Bonus: garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice add tons of great flavor.
If you have an air fryer (this Instant Omni Plus is my favorite), these air fryer vegetables should definitely be in your rotation. They’re so simple to make, and they’re healthy and flavorful. You can even adapt the recipe to use different veggies you have on hand. Trust me, you want it in your back pocket!
This air fryer vegetables recipe starts with a mix of colorful veggies:
- Zucchini or yellow squash
- Red bell pepper
- Cremini mushrooms
- Red onion
This combination is delicious, but it’s by no means the only option here! If you like, choose just a few of these vegetables to air fry, or swap in other vegetables that you have on hand. Tender veggies like asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and green beans would be good additions. Avoid tough root vegetables like beets or sweet potatoes. They’d require a longer cook time than I call for in this recipe.
Once you choose your veggies, season them with these simple ingredients:
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It helps the vegetables brown and soften in the air fryer.
- Italian seasoning – Use store-bought, or make homemade Italian seasoning with dried herbs in your pantry.
- Garlic powder – It adds savory, umami flavor.
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Air Fry Vegetables
My method for how to air fry vegetables is really similar to my method for roasting them in the oven. Here’s how it goes:
First, prep the vegetables. Chop them and place them in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and several grinds of pepper. Toss to coat the veggies in the oil and seasonings.
Next, arrange the vegetables in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Heads up: Depending on the size of your air fryer, you’ll likely need to work in batches. Overcrowding the basket will cause the vegetables to steam, not brown. Only add as many as will fit in a single layer.
Then, air fry the vegetables at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and browned. Toss halfway through the cooking time so that they brown evenly. Repeat with the remaining vegetables.
Finally, season to taste and serve! Squeeze the air fried veggies with fresh lemon juice, and top them with fresh parsley. They’re also delicious with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan on top.
Air Fryer Vegetables Tips
- Size matters. I call for a mix of firm vegetables (i.e., carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower) and tender vegetables (i.e., zucchini and peppers) in this recipe. They all cook evenly in the air fryer provided you cut the firm veggies into fairly small pieces. Thinly slice the carrot, and break the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. If these pieces are too large, they won’t cook through by the time the zucchini and peppers are tender.
- Don’t crowd the air fryer basket. The #1 rule of air frying! In order for the vegetables to become caramelized and crisp, the hot air must be able to contact them on all sides. If the basket is too crowded, they’ll steam and soften instead of browning. Work in batches if necessary. I typically cook this recipe in two batches in my air fryer, or I cook a half recipe in a single batch.
More Air Fryer Veggies
If you love these easy air fryer veggies, try one of these air fryer recipes next:
Air Fryer Vegetables
This air fryer vegetables recipe is a healthy, delicious side dish! Quick, easy, and flavorful, it pairs well with almost any meal.
- 1 zucchini or yellow squash, cut into ½-inch half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small red onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 heaping cup small broccoli florets
- 1 heaping cup small cauliflower florets
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedge, for squeezing
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Prevent your screen from going dark
Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
Place the zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, carrot, broccoli, and cauliflower in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and several grinds of pepper and toss to coat.
Add some of the vegetables to the air fryer basket, just enough to fit in a single layer. Transfer to the air fryer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes (I do 12), tossing halfway, or until the vegetables are tender and browned. Repeat with the remaining veggies.
Transfer the air fried vegetables to a serving dish and squeeze with lemon juice. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired, and garnish with fresh parsley.